Untitled Story Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“So my fellow readers you may be wondering, “Where has our favorite party girl gone to? Has she been sucked into an endless black hole or worse…become a groupie? Where will we find the coolest places in L.A. to hang out and drink and possibly meet celebrities? Where will our dosage of humorous anecdotes come from? Are we doomed forever to lead boring and dull lives?”. Fear not my quaking followers! I am here to tell you I have not been sucked into space or become a groupie and am back on the job. I have been dealing with some personal things (which no matter how much you plead I won’t divulge) but I am now back and better than ever…or as my favorite robot would say “I’m back baby!”. So on to my first little piece of heaven here in the City of Angels….”

I began to feel like I was getting better. I hardly slept anymore but I was getting out and throwing myself into work. Henna would join me occasionally on my excursions, but it was mostly just me. However, I still wasn’t me. In throwing myself into work I was Julie Finn or rebelyellgrl, my pen names. Kris died with her family. I was a new woman.

After finding the note I decided to do some digging so I asked my friend Clark to look into Charlie’s background. Clark usually did all my P.I. work for me ever since we met back when I was working for The L.A. Times. He never let me down. When we usually worked together he would give me updates and what information he was able to dig up weekly. So when I didn’t hear from him I became concerned. I didn’t hear from him for 3 weeks. When he finally called he asked to meet me at the local diner. Sitting there, it felt a little cloak & daggerish but then again that was the way my life seemed to be going. I had to stifle a giggle when Clark sat down wearing a large brown trench coat and dark sunglasses.

“Clark, you are not an international spy. Why do you need that get-up?” I asked snickering a little. He just stared at me, his expression unmoving. His whole demeanor seemed tense. He didn’t say a word and just slid an envelope across the table to me. He then stood up and looked at me, his face riddled with concern.

“Just don’t speak of this with anyone. Don’t trust anyone. And don’t call me regarding this ever again. In fact, please don’t call me anymore. Period.” He said flatly. He then turned and walked swiftly out the door. I stared after him stunned. How bad could this be? Clark had known me for the last six years. How could someone who has known me for so long just walk out on our friendship like that? What did Charlie do? With trembling hands I opened the envelope. I reached in expecting to pull out a large file. The only thing in the envelope was a letter.

Everything you know is a lie. Charles Henry Dyson did not exist. There are no records anywhere in the world on anyone with that name. As for the names you gave me for his parents, William & Eunice Dyson, they did exist in 1941. They were arrested and executed as spies in Germany. I’m sorry to break this to you like this. Furthermore, upon taking this job any digging I did has caused my life and my wife’s life to be in danger. We have received numerous death threats. I am sorry Kris but I have to step away for my own protection. I am sorry for everything you have lost but I feel if you continue asking questions you only stand to lose more. But if you choose to continue looking, I wish you the best of luck and remember, trust no one.

Clark

I was dumbfounded. How could my friend of ten years just up and tell me not to contact him again? Was it truly that serious? Oh God, What had I gotten myself into? I shakily stood up from the table, paid for the coffee and left, my mind still reeling from what happened. I decided it was time to call Detective Llewelyn. However when I tried to contact him all I got was his voicemail. I hurriedly left a message. So now what? If Charles wasn’t who my husband was, than who was he? And what else didn’t he tell me?

Henna stopped by later in the afternoon. She often came by just to see how I was doing, even though she never said that was why.

0 comments:

Post a Comment